Are you considering getting a dual extruder 3D printer? Are you wondering if it is worth it or not?
Dual extruder 3D printers work faster and are more convenient to use because they eliminate the need to swap out one filament for another. They are best used when 3D printing with multiple filaments or when you mix colors of different materials.
I know you are looking for the best dual extruder 3D printer and I’m here to help because I know that it’s not easy to choose one as there are a lot of dual extruder 3D printers in the 3D printing industry. So, I compiled the best dual extruder 3D printers in the market today. Check them out and see what’s best for you.
Best 3D Printers with Dual Extruders
In the beginning, 3D printers only come with one extruder. However, with time, 3D printing technology has evolved and the users’ expectations have also risen which led to better 3D printers. Dual extruder 3D printers came to life due to the need to print multiple colors at the same time.
Each dual extruder 3D printer on the list comes with its own limitations and strengths. It’s up to you to determine which is the best dual extruder 3D printer for you depending on your requirements and budget. Without further ado, let’s get started!
1. Bibo Dual Extruder 3D Printer Review
Bibo 3D printer is among the most popular dual extruder 3D printers and it is apparent in its rank on Amazon and positive reviews on the e-commerce site.
This dual extruder 3D printer allows you to print an object in two colors and prints dissolvable filament for printing support material. It also comes with filament detection which is very helpful when the filament spool runs out during printing because the machine automatically pauses for you to load in a fresh spool of filament.
When it comes to its appearance, it looks like it’s from a different era. It has a sturdy metal frame that is made of a 6 mm thick aluminum composite panel. It has a removable enclosed cover made of an acrylic hood and front door to ensure better temperature control inside the printer. This set-up is great for ABS prints.
As for its performance, this 3D printer delivers impressive prints. Furthermore, it can be enhanced with a laser engraving module to broaden its scope of application.
It has a full-color touch screen with no thresholds making it more user-friendly and easier to operate. It also comes with wifi-control that includes a networking feature that permits you to control the print via phone or PC.
Overall, this 3D printer is a great 3D printing solution, with two print heads, an average build area, and printing volume. It costs less than $1,000 but delivers great print quality and allows a variety of filaments to support your creativity and give you all the printing possibilities. This dual extruder printer is highly recommended!
• Technology: Fused deposition modeling (FDM)
• Year: 2019
• Assembly: Partially assembled
• Mechanical arrangement: Cartesian XY-head
• Manufacturer: Bibo
• Build volume: 214 x 186 x 160 mm
• Feeder system: Direct drive
• Print head: Dual nozzle
• Nozzle size: 0.4 mm
• Max. hot end temperature: 270 ℃
• Max. heated bed temperature: 100 ℃
• Print bed material: Glass
• Frame: Aluminum
• Bed leveling: Manual
• Connectivity: WiFi, USB
• Print recovery: Yes
• Filament sensor: Yes
• Camera: No
• Filament diameter: 1.75 mm
• Third-party filament: Yes
• Filament materials: Consumer materials (PLA, ABS, PETG filaments, Flexibles)
• Recommended slicer: Cura, Simplify3D, Repetier-Host
• Operating system: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux
• File types: STL, OBJ, AMF
• Frame dimensions: 467 x 357 x 374 mm
• Weight: 16 kg
We reviewed the best sites for STL files and models here, check them out.
2. Geeetech A10M
Geeetech A10M is a 2-in-1 3D printer that is versatile and delivers four types of printings — single color, double color, graded color, and mixed color that will surely enrich your 3D printing experience — thanks to its dual extruder 3D design. It’s a smaller version of the Geeetech A20M!
Geeetech A10M has a modularized design that divides the printer into 6 modules — Gantry kit, Bottom Kit, Extruder motors, PSU Kit, LCD display Kit, Filament holder Kit, and everything else that you need to tighten screws, connect the wires tightly, fine-tune belt tension and adjust the heated bed.
Plus, it works smartly. This dual extruder 3D printer has a filament detection system that will alert you to change filaments when the printer runs in the air or the spool is empty. It has a resurrection system that saves real-time printing status and resumes the 3D printing job exactly where it stops in case of a power outage or printing failure.
Geeetech recommends Repetier-Host for slicing models, but it also provides Color Mixer software for importing Gcode to add gradients, color steps or mix filament colors. For your peace of mind, it comes with lifetime technical assistance in case you encounter any problem while setting it up or using it.
It also has responsive and knowledgeable customer support that you can contact via email and on Facebook. You might need to do a lot of fine-tuning to get great prints which also gives you the opportunity to familiarize your machine more.
Overall, Geeetech A10M is a great value for money considering its price and the features it offers that’s why it makes it into my best dual extruder printer list. If you need a bigger dual extruder 3D printer, you can go for the Geeetech A20M 3D printer. Geeetech is another go-to brand for dual extrusion 3D printers.
• Build volume: 220 x 220 x 260mm
• Printing accuracy: 0.1mm
• Frame: Aluminum
• Nozzle quantity: Two
• Nozzle diameter: 0.4mm
• Max. print temperature: 250
• Nozzle diameter: 1.75mm
• Connectivity: Wi-Fi, SD Card, USB
• File format: G-code, STL
• XY-axis positioning accuracy: 0.011mm
• Z-axis positioning accuracy: 0.0025mm
• Voltage: 110-240V
• Power: 360W
• Product weight: 7.6kg
• Package weight: 8.84kg
• Product size: 18.80 x 23.50 x 46.50 cm (7.4 x 9.25 x 18.31 in)
• Package size: 48.80 x 23.50 x 46.50 cm (19.21 x 9.25 x 18.31 in)
3. Flashforge Creator Pro Review
Flashforge Creator Pro is a clone of the MakerBot Replicator printers and it’s the only model from the brand with dual extruders. It has a sturdy metal frame with aviation level aluminum plate and a completely flat surface that will not warp during the heating process. It has an enclosed chamber design for protection.
Aside from allowing you to print two filaments, Flashforge Creator Pro supports various filaments, including PLA, ABS, PLA Color Change, Pearl, ABS Pro, Elastic, PVA, HIPS filament, PETG, TPE filament, TPU, Conductive Filament, and more. You can unleash your creativity because you can use different materials for your 3D project. However, the spool holders are too big for most filaments, but you can replace it by 3D printing another one.
In general Flashforge Creator Pro is easy to use from setting it up to making your first 3D print. The challenging part is locating the voltage switch that is extremely awkward to get to. If you do not have any experience, you will probably have a hard time setting this up and making it work. But you can find use the pdf file available at the FlashForge USA website to guide you.
Creator Pro 3D printer is a bit pricey compared to other dual 3D printers on the list, but it’s already very cheap given its qualities. It also delivers decent quality and consistent prints.
Overall, Flashforge Creator Pro is an affordable, efficient and reliable dual extruder 3D printer. It delivers consistent results and is relatively easy to maintain and repair. Plus, it has an active and supportive community which you can turn to whenever you need help or answers to even your basic questions.
Furthermore, Creator Pro is open source, so you are free to upgrade it and improve it to work the way you want your machine to operate. Due to the said reasons, I consider Creator Pro the best dual extruder 3D printer.
• Technology: FFF
• Year: 2016
• Assembly: Fully assembled
• Mechanical arrangement: Cartesian style
• Manufacturer: Flashforge
• Build volume: 227 × 148 × 150 mm
• Layer height: 100 microns
• Extruder type: Dual
• Nozzle size: 0.4 mm
• Max. extruder temperature: 260°C
• Max. heated bed temperature: 120°C
• Positioning accuracy: XY: 11 microns; Z: 2.5 microns
• Printing Speed: 100 mm/s
• Print chamber: Enclosed
• Bed leveling: Manual
• Connectivity: SD card, USB
• Build-in camera for monitoring: No
• Filament diameter: 1.75 mm
• Third-party filament: Yes
• Filament materials: ABS filament, PETG, PLA, PVA
• Operating system: Windows, Linux, Mac
• Recommended Slicer: Replicator G, FlashPrint (included)
• File types: STL, OBJ
• Frame dimensions: 480 x 338 x 385 mm
• Weight: 19 kg
4. Ultimaker S5 Review
Ultimaker S5 is a professional dual extruder 3D printer. The brand is among the most popular and trusted 3D printer manufacturers in the market. Since it is for professionals, it costs more than regular dual extruder 3D printers.
The good thing with it is that it can handle a huge variety of material, has a huge build volume, impressive software and produces big prints. So, if you are planning to make money from your 3D printing machine, this dual extruder printer is a good option.
It comes with two swappable print heads. You can easily remove them by selecting an on-screen menu option and then pressing a retaining clamp. Doing so will allow you to use printheads for different materials at once.
Also, you won’t have a hard time operating this dual extruder printer because it has an LCD screen where you can control most functions from loading and unloading filaments to printing via a USB drive. Ultimaker S5 also includes the Cura app, the software that slices the model and creates the final print file.
The print process itself is simple and straightforward, but while the software offers a lot of options, there’s not much guidance. You can monitor prints via Cura with the Ultimaker app on your phone for both iOS and Android devices because it has a built-in webcam. The app also allows you to stop, pause, cancel or start a new print.
Overall, Ultimaker S5 is the best dual 3D printer for professionals. It is expensive but exceeds most of your expectations.
• Build volume: 330 x 240 x 300 mm
• Assembled dimensions: 495 x 585 x 780 mm
• Weight: 20.6 kg (45.4 lbs)
• Maximum power output
• Assembly type: Pre-assembled
• Dimensions: 495 x 585 x 780 mm
• Build Volume: 330 x 240 x 300 mm (13 x 9.5 x 11.8 inches)
• Layer Resolution: 0.25 mm nozzle: 150 – 60 micron/0.4 mm nozzle: 200 – 20 micron/0.8 mm nozzle: 600 – 20 micron
• Print Temperature: Up to 280 ˚C
• Print Speed: < 24 mm³ /s
• XYZ Resolution: 6.9, 6.9, 2.5 micron
• Print Head: Dual Extrusion with Soluble Support Material
• Swappable Print Cores
• Heated Build Plate with Active Leveling
• Open Filament System
• Materials: PLA, Tough PLA, Nylon filament, ABS, CPE, CPE+, PC, TPU 95A, PP, PVA filament, Breakaway, Third-Party materials
5. Zmorph VX Review
ZMorph is known for being a versatile dual extruder 3D printer, in fact, VX is one of the most popular 3-in-1 3D printers. But it makes it into our list of best dual extruder 3D printers because it is an exceptional 3D printer with dual extrusion.
The dual extruder has two feeders, two inlets, and a single nozzle. It has open feeders on the nozzle which makes it easy to spot clogging. Thanks to this, users can easily resolve the issue. It has a highly polished system that is available not only as a dedicated 3D printer.
ZMorph VX is more than just a 3D printer because it can do more than just that as it is also a CNC milling machine and a laser engraver. Yes, you read it right, aside from 3D printing, it can do CNC milling and laser engraving. When it comes to quality It is a multitool 3D printer with a lot of applications making it so powerful. It’s a professional 3D printer that is sturdy and durable. It also delivers big prints with impressive print quality that is very detailed.
ZMorph dual extruder 3D printer is a bit expensive compared to other brands, but very much worth it because it’s the all-around solution to your creative needs.
• Technology: FDM/FFF, CNC Mill, Laser Engraving, Thick Paste Syringe
• Build volume: 250 x 235 x 165 mm (toolhead dependent)
• Layer resolution: 25-400 microns
• Material diameter: 1.75 mm, 2.85mm (toolhead dependant)
• Nozzle diameter: 0.2 mm-0.4mm
• Platform leveling: Automatic
• Extruder: Single, Dual (toolhead dependant)
• Platform: Glass (3D printing), Machined Aluminum w/ clamp holes (CNC, Laser)
• Connectivity: USB, SD
• Maximum extruder temperature: 250° C
• Maximum platform temperature: 100° C
• Software bundle: Voxelizer 2.0
• Supported operating systems: Mac OS X / Windows 7 and newer versions
6. Craftbot 3
CraftBot 3 is from a Hungarian 3D printer manufacturer CraftUnique. It is reliable and easy to use and makes a good alternative for 3D printers with a high price tag.
CraftBot 3 also known as “The Supervisor” has a dual extrusion with a filament monitoring system and high-grade components. You can customize the setting of each extruder to allow you to work with two different filament types simultaneously.
It is also packed with several useful features that professionals will surely love. The said features plus its affordable price make it an attractive choice for those who are looking for dual extruders. However, the quality is inferior compared to the other brands, some experienced inconsistencies when it comes to the effectiveness and reliability of some of its features which’s why it’s not on the top of our list.
Also, its free slicer software is not easy to use. I ran into a number of issues due to its setting. So, I couldn’t say that it’s the best.
Regardless, Craftbot 3 is a good dual 3D printer. It’s not the best, but definitely worth buying because it offers so much more for its price. Also, it comes with a one-year warranty, which is another reason why it’s worth buying.
• Build Volume (dual print mode): 10.6 x 9.84 x 9.8″ / 27.0 x 25.0 x 25.0 cm
• Build Volume (single print mode): 10.6 x 9.84 x 9.8″ / 32.20 x 25.o x 25.0 cm
• Total Print Area: 374mm x 250mm x 250mm
• Layer Resolution: Z Axis: 50 micron / 0.05 mm
• Hotend Max Temp: 300C
• Print Speed: 50 to 200 mm/s
• Layer Thickness: 50 micron
• Filament Diameter Size: 1.75 mm
• Dimensions: 55.4 x 48.8 x 43.1 cm
• Weight: 52.9 lb / 24 kg
7. Raise3D Pro2 Review
Raise3D Pro2 is a professional desktop FDM printer with a fully redesigned dual extrusion system with a sizable build volume. Its new extruder is 1.5 times faster compared to the N2 series. When printing with two materials, the non-functioning nozzle is raised by 1.5 mm with a switching time of less than a second.
Raise3D Pro2 3D printer is the new generation from the Raise3D company and it’s very easy to use. This 3D printer is ready to operate straight out of the box. In fact, before starting to print, you only need to load the filament and check out if the default calibration was not upset during the transportation.
Thanks to its dual extrusion, it can print with either a single or dual extruder setup. The two print heads will take about one inch of the width of your total build volume but still leaves you plenty of room to work with. It uses a unique technology that automatically retracts the dual extruders when not in use. Also, the nozzles are compatible with every type of filament.
Raise3D Pro3 3D printer has a fully enclosed aluminum frame and has the ability to print with two materials and resume the printing process after a power failure. Among its powerful features is wireless connectivity that allows control, collaboration, monitoring and operating the 3D printer from afar. It’s great for teams looking to streamline the design and printing process.
The only downside of this 3D printer is its price tag. It is expensive, you’ll feel like you are paying for every feature in the machine. But, I must say, it’s worth the price because it delivers what it promises and more. So, if you have the money and you are into powerful 3D printers regardless of the price, you should try it out.
• Build Volume (W×D×H)
• Single Extrusion Print: 12×12×11.8 in / 305×305×300 mm
• Dual Extrusion Print: 11×12×11.8 in / 280×305×300 mm
• Machine Size: 24.4×23.2×29.9 in / 620×590×760 mm
• Print Technology: FFF
• Print Head System: Dual-head with electronic lifting system
• Filament Diameter: 1.75 mm
• XYZ Step Size: 0.78125, 0.78125, 0.078125 micron
• Print Head Travel Speed: 30–150 mm/s
• Build Plate: Heated aluminum build plate with magnetic holding
• Max Build Plate Temperature: 110 ºC
• Heated Bed Material: Silicone
• Build Plate Leveling: Pre-calibrated leveling
• Supported Materials: PLA filament/ ABS / HIPS / PC / TPU filament/ TPE / NYLON / PETG / ASA / PP / PVA / Glass Fiber Infused / Carbon Fiber Infused / Metal Fill / Wood Filament
• Nozzle Diameter: 0.4 mm (Default), 0.2/ 0.6/ 0.8/ 1.0 mm (Available)
• Max Nozzle Temperature: 300 ºC
• Connectivity: Wi-Fi, LAN, USB port, Live camera
• Noise Emission (Acoustic): ＜50 dB(A) when building
• Operating Ambient Temperature: 15-30 ºC, 10-90 % RH non-condensing
• Storage Temperature: -25 ℃ to +55 ℃, 10-90 % RH non-condensing
• Technical Certifications: CB, CE, FCC, RoHS
• Net Weight: 50.2 kg
• Gross Weight (Carton Only): 62.7 kg
• Gross Weight (Carton with Pallet): 70.5 kg
• Power Supply Input: 100-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz 230 V @3.3 A
• Power Supply Output: 24 V DC, 600 W
• Slicing Software: ideaMaker
• Supported File Types: STL/ OBJ/ 3MF/OLTP
• Supported OS: WINDOWS/ macOS/ LINUX
• Machine Code Type: GCODE
• User Interface: 7-inch Touch Screen
• Network: Wi-Fi, Ethernet
• Resume Print after Power Outage: Firmware recording, no need for battery installation. Protection from any condition
• Screen Resolution: 1024×600
• Motion Controller: ARM Cortex M7.400MHZ FPU
• Logic Controller: Freescale i.MX6, Quad core 1Ghz ARM processor
• Memory: 1 GB
• Onboard Flash: 8 GB
• OS: Embedded Linux
• Ports: USB 2.0×2, Ethernet×1
3D printers with dual extruders are versatile! They can 3D print two materials at once, so you can use multiple color filaments on your project. Also, some of them also serve as CNC milling machine and laser engraver at the same time
The list of dual extruder 3D printers above supports a variety of filaments, some have support structures and others come with a larger print volume compared to the others. I suggest that you compare the 3D printers’ printing bed, build area, extrusion head, and price when choosing the best one. You should also consider the features they offer. Pretty sure, you will find one within your budget and requirement! Sigmax R19 and Sindoh 3Dwox 2X are great dual extrusion 3D printers too.
If you wish to learn more about 3D printers, please feel free to check our home page.